WHAT IS PROFESSIONAL LIABILITY OF ARCHITECTS?
WHAT ARE THE OWNER’S / OCCUPANT’S DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES WITH REGARD TO THEIR BUILDING?
The Owner/Occupant, upon the completion of the building shall maintain it properly to safeguard and preserve the longevity of the building.
FOR HOW LONG IS AN ARCHITECT LIABLE WITH REGARD TO A BUILDING?
The Architect’s Liability shall be limited to a maximum period of three years after the building is handed over to / occupied by the owner, whichever is earlier. The Architect is required to maintain all records related to the project for a minimum period of four years after the issue of Certificate of Virtual Completion.
WHEN IS AN ARCHITECT NOT LIABLE, IN CASE OF A BUILDING COLLAPSE / DAMAGE?
The Architect is not liable for any liability, in case of a building damage or collapse, if the damage has been caused in the following circumstances:
- The building is used for purposes other than for which it has been designed.
- Illegal or unauthorized changes / alterations / renovations / modifications have been carried out by the Owners/Occupants without the consent or approval of the Architect.
- Changes/alterations/renovations/modifications to the building have been carried out by consulting another Architect without the knowledge and consent of the erstwhile Architect, or without obtaining No Objection Certificate from him.
- The safety norms have been compromised by the Owner/Occcupant.
- There is distress due to leaking from the terrace, toilets, and water logging within the vicinity of the building which can affect the strength and stability of the building.
- There is a lack of periodical or inadequate maintenance by the Owner/Occupant.
- The damage is caused due to any reasons arising out of the deficient services rendered by the ‘Specialized Consultants’ with regard to the design and supervision of the work entrusted to them, who were appointed in consultation with the Client.
- The damages caused to the building are for reasons beyond the control of the Architect.
WHAT DOES PROFESSIONAL NEGLIGENCE AND DEFICIENT SERVICE MEAN?
Negligence of an Architect means the failure to take reasonable degree of care while rendering services. An Architect is required to observe and uphold the Council’s Conditions of Engagement and Scale of Charges while rendering architectural services . The failure to provide any service that is necessary for the discharge of his duties and functions for the project for which he has been engaged, amounts to deficient service.
WHAT IS PROFESSIONAL MISCONDUCT OF AN ARCHITECT?
Any matter regarding Professional Negligence and/or Deficient Service provided by the Architect, shall be referred to the Council of Architecture, to adjudicate whether the Architect is guilty of Professional Misconduct.
WHAT DISCIPLINARY ACTION- CIVIL/CRIMINAL- IS TAKEN AGAINST AN ARCHITECT GUILTY OF PROFESSIONAL MISCONDUCT?
If the Architect is found guilty of Professional Misconduct, he is liable for disciplinary action by the Council of Architecture under section 30 of the Architects Act,1972.
The disciplinary action taken by the Council of Architecture against the Architect who has been found guilty of Professional Misconduct, does not absolve him of his liabilities under the Code of Civil Procedure, 1908 and the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973, if any.
This post was about the Professional liability of an Architect and what constitutes as deficient / negligent service by an Architect. To lodge a complaint against an Architect for deficiency / negligence in service, go to:
The Council Of Architecture (CoA) in India has stipulated guidelines and regulations regarding an Architect’s profession and education. To know more, go to:
- An Architect’s Educational Qualifications
- An Architect’s Services and Responsibilities
- An Architect’s Charges
- An Architect’s Conduct
- Registration of an Architect with the CoA
- Architectural Competitions
If you found this post useful, I would really love it if you pin it or share it. I have not blocked the site just because your ad blocker is switched on because I hope my content will be useful to you. But I am able to run this site only because of the ads. So I will be obliged if you turn off your ad blocker. Thank you!