Vastu Shastra, an ancient Indian science for designing and building, unifies science, art, astronomy and astrology. The goal of Vastu Shastra is to restore the balance between buildings and the universe so as to make the lives of the inmates better.
The surprising thing is that Vastu Shastra principles are applicable even today, though ancient India has changed from a largely agricultural society to an urban one. This is because the Vastu factors that impact humans namely the elements of Nature, Sun’s effects, Earth’s magnetic field, cardinal directions and Earth’s energy (Prana) have not changed over the centuries and Vaastu Shastra is essentially the science of manipulating the above-mentioned Vastu factors in a building, so that they are in harmony, which in turn will make the lives of the inmates happy and peaceful.
As an Architect, I have realised that these Vastu Shastra guidelines are wholly based on scientific principles and are very similar to the basic design rules that we are taught in Architecture school. So I have collated all the Vastu guidelines regarding the ‘designing of a house’ under the following three headings. I have attempted to explain each of these guidelines rationally and scientifically so that you have a choice and can decide what you want to follow or don’t instead of looking at Vastu as a superstition:
- SELECTION OF A SITE
- APPLYING VASTU SHASTRA PRINCIPLES
- VASTU SHASTRA DESIGN OF A HOUSE
1. Vastu Guidelines For Selecting The Right Site: is very important since the Site represents a fixed form, that will radiate positive as well as negative energies depending on its location, orientation, shape, slope and soil quality. Listed here are the five most important factors to be considered while selecting a Site.
- Vastu Guidelines | Location Of Site
- Vastu Guidelines | Site Shape
- Vastu Guidelines | Site Soil
- Vastu Guidelines | Site Slope
- Vastu Guidelines | Site Orientation
2. Vastu Shastra Principles For A House: are a guide for designing and planning a proportionate, aesthetic and beautiful building with the right measurements and are very similar to the principles of Architecture taught in Architectural colleges all over the world today. Listed here are five important Vastu principles that can help elevate the appearance of your house.
- Vastu Principles | Site orientation – also called Diknirnaya.
- Vastu Principles | Site planning – also known as Vaastu Purusha Mandala.
- Vastu Principles | Proportions of the building – also known as Maana.
- Vastu Principles | Dimensions of the building– also called Aayadi
- Vastu Principles | Aesthetics of the building – also known as Chanda.
3. Vastu Plan of A House: Vastu Shastra lays down guidelines on the ‘design, location, direction and disposition of the Interior and Exterior spaces of a House’ so that the inmates derive maximum benefit from the natural elements and are protected from their harmful effects. Listed here are the Vastu guidelines for all the interior rooms and exterior spaces that encompass a house.
Vastu guidelines for the rooms of a house:
- Vastu For Verandah
- Vastu For Entrance Door
- Vastu For Living Room
- Vastu For Puja Room
- Vastu For Dining Room
- Vastu For Kitchen
- Vastu For Bedroom
- Vastu For Study Room
- Vastu For Home Office
- Vastu For Toilet/ Bathroom
- Vastu For Balcony
- Vastu For Staircase
- Vastu For Store Room
- Vastu For Upper Floors
- Vastu For Doors And Windows
Vastu Guidelines for the Interiors of a house:
- Vastu For Interiors Of A Home
- Vastu For Colours of A House
- Vastu For Choosing The Right Colours
- Vastu For Colour Therapy
Vastu Guidelines for the exterior spaces of a house:
- Vastu For Gates
- Vastu For Trees And Plants
- Vastu For Kitchen Backyard
- Vastu For Car Porch/Garage
- Vastu For Basement
- Vastu For Overhead Tank
- Vastu For Renting Out
These guidelines are based on scientific reasoning and common sense and when applied correctly create well-lit, well-ventilated, spacious, aesthetic, and well-designed rooms and House. A properly designed House will naturally create ‘contentment’, ‘peace’ and ‘serenity’ for the inmates and the Owner will be proud of and happy to live in it.
If you found this post useful, I would really love it if you pin it or share it. I have not blocked the site just because your ad blocker is switched on because I hope my content will be useful to you. But I am able to run this site only because of the ads. So I will be obliged if you turn off your ad blocker. Thank you!