Vastu Shastra, an ancient mystic science for designing and building, unifies science, art, astronomy and astrology. Vastu lays down some principles which were originally carefully guarded and meant for only temples, palaces and for the elite. However, these principles gradually spread by word of mouth as set, rigid rules and were used for houses as well. The ancient Rishis who formulated Vastu Shastra, in all their wisdom knew that unless they enforced the principles of planning very strictly, people would build according to their whims and create ugly, unaesthetic, badly lit and badly ventilated structures. Perhaps to prevent such a situation, the principles of Vastu Shastra were made hard and fast rules.
A look into these principles will help to dispel the ignorance about Vaastu Shastra- that it is only a spiritual science meant for the construction of beautiful temples and is not useful for the design of Houses and other secular buildings. These principles are a guide for designing and planning proportionate, aesthetic and beautiful buildings with the right measurements.
As an Architect practising in India, I have realised that the guidelines that we follow in designing, which are the sub-conscious outcome of all that we learn in 5 years of architectural education in subjects like climatology, structural design, architectural design, building materials, history of architecture etc are actually very similar to the Vastu Shastra Principles listed here.
WHAT ARE THE FUNDAMENTAL PRINCIPLES OF VAASTU SHASTRA – THE VEDIC SCIENCE OF ARCHITECTURE?
There are five fundamental principles on which ‘Vaastu Shastra’ stands and they are:
- Site orientation – also called Diknirnaya.
- Site planning – also known as Vaastu Purusha Mandala.
- Proportions of the building – also known as Maana.
- Dimensions of the building– also called Aayadi
- Aesthetics of the building – also known as Chanda.
- Scientific Vastu Shastra | Explained By An Architect
- Scientific Vastu Shastra | Factors That Impact A House
- Scientific Vastu Guidelines | Selecting The Right Site
- Scientific Vastu Guidelines | Designing A House
- Scientific Vastu Guidelines | Construction Of A House
If you found this post useful, I would really be happy if you pin it or share it. All it takes is a simple click on the “pin it” “like,” “share,” “tweet,” or Google+ buttons below the post.