The Council of Architecture (CoA) states that, “Any person desirous of practising as an ‘Architect’ in India is required to be registered in the Register, with the Council of Architecture (CoA). He shall be entitled on payment of the prescribed fees to have his name entered in the register, if he resides or carries on the profession of Architect in India and holds a recognised qualification, or does not hold such a qualification but, being a citizen of India, has been engaged in practice as an architect for a period of not less than five years prior to 27.04.1974.”
CAN A PERSON, WHO IS NOT A CITIZEN OF INDIA BE REGISTERED WITH THE CoA?
No person other than a citizen of India shall be entitled to registration. However, if a citizen of India residing in another country, holding an architectural qualification registrable in that country is permitted to enter and practise the profession of architect in such country, the Central Government of India in pursuance of a scheme of reciprocity or otherwise, may after consultation with the Council, direct, by notification in the Official Gazette, that such architectural qualification as the Council has decided should be recognised, shall be deemed to be a recognised qualification.
WHAT IS THE REGISTER OF ARCHITECTS?
The Central Government provides a Register of Architects in India. The Council of Architecture prepares and maintains the Register in accordance with the provisions of the Architect’s Act. The Register includes the following particulars:
- The full name with the date of birth, nationality and residential address of the Architect.
- The Architect’s qualification for registration (B.Arch. or M.Arch etc) and the date on which he obtained that qualification and the authority which conferred it.
- The date of the Architect’s first admission to the Register.
- The Architect’s professional address.
- Further particulars prescribed by rules.
WHAT IS THE PROCEDURE FOR GETTING REGISTERED WITH THE COUNCIL OF ARCHITECTURE?
Earlier a person applying for registration was required to download the registration form and send a duly filled form to the Council of Architecture office. But w.e.f. 01.04.2016 onward, only online filled up applications shall be accepted. The instructions for filling and submission of online application form are described here.
2) FILL UP THE APPLICATION FORM: With the login ID and password, you can login to the Council’s website and fill-up the application form in proper case and upload your recent color photograph of size 3.5 x 3.5cm upto 10KB (max) and signatures upto 4 KB (max).
3) ENROLLMENT NUMBER: Enrollment number i.e., (CoA-Six digit Number) is mandatory / as applicable (for admissions from the Academic Year 2008-09 onwards). Make sure that the enrollment number entered is strictly in format as given in the enrollment number list as available on the website of the Council www.coa.gov.in. Enrollment numbers of the students are also available with the respective Institutions.
4) TAKE A PRINTOUT OF FILLED FORM: After filling up the application take a printout of the duly filled form on good quality bond A4 size paper (preferably a coloured one).
5) CORRECTIONS: Correction(s), if any, can be made by the applicant in the hard copy of the generated/printed application form by countersigning at the place of correction before sending to the Council. Note that the CoA is strict about completing the application format. Incomplete Application shall not be processed further and no intimation shall be sent in this regard.
6) SEND THE FILLED FORM TO THE CoA OFFICE: The duly signed Form enclosing therein the requisite documents as per the checklist mentioned below may either be handed personally either by you or by a person authorized by you, at the office of the “Council of Architecture” (Payment Timings :10.00 am to 01.00 p.m. & 01.30p.m. to 03.30 p.m. on all working days Monday to Friday) or be sent to the Council’s office by registered post addressed to the “Registrar, Council of Architecture, India Habitat Centre, Core 6-AFirst floor, Lodhi Road, New Delhi – 110 003”. Each application shall be accompanied by Registration Fee (Non-refundable) of Rs.600/- by way of cash at the counter or by demand draft drawn in favor of “Council of Architecture”, payable at New Delhi or alternately the payment can also be made online through login id details.
7) ONLINE PAYMENT: Do remember to press ‘Submit to CoA’ button after making the payment online. It ensures that the application form is in order otherwise your application shall not be available for further processing.
WHAT ARE THE DOCUMENTS TO BE SUBMITTED ALONG WITH THE APPLICATION FOR REGISTRATION?
The documents to be submitted for Registration include the following. Documents must be duly attested by a Gazetted Officer or Notary Public / Oath Commissioner or must be self attested. Documents should be properly stapled with the application form in the same order as provided in the checklist:
1) FILLED-UP APPLICATION FORM: After filling up the application online, take a printout of the duly filled form on good quality bond A4 size paper (preferably colored one) and sign it. Please ensure that the spelling of your name is strictly as per the recognised university architectural qualification certificate and mark sheets submitted by you.
4) ARCHITECTURAL QUALIFICATION CERTIFICATE IN ORIGINAL: The final recognised architectural qualification degree certificate on the basis of which registration is sought i.e. 5-year B.Arch. Degree or 5-year Diploma in Architecture or 5-year Government Diploma in Architecture or Membership of I.I.A. Certificate, IN ORIGINAL, for verification and return by Registered Post, along with a copy of the same duly attested by either a Gazetted Officer or Notary Public/Oath Commissioner. The recognised architectural qualifications (Indian and Foreign) are listed in the CoA Schedule. In case the final degree/diploma has not been awarded/ issued by the University, applicant may submit the Provisional Certificate/Passing Certificate issued by the competent authority of the University.
5) COPIES OF MARKSHEETS FOR ALL SEMESTERS/YEARS: The copies of marksheets (including Practical Training certificate, if any) for all the semesters/years of the recognised qualification(including Fail/ATKT/Supplementary etc.), duly attested by a Gazetted Officer or Notary Public/Oath Commissioner. Alternatively, you may also submit an attested copy of your consolidated mark sheet for all semesters/years. No original mark sheet(s) should be submitted with the application.
7) DEMAND DRAFT: A demand draft for Rs.600/- (non-refundable) drawn in favour of “Council of Architecture”, payable at Delhi/New Delhi towards registration fee. It must be mentioned that the option of availing of One Time Payment at the time of applying for registration has been discontinued. The registration shall be granted initially for two calendars years and after that period, you can opt for one time payment.
Since I get many queries and doubts regarding registration with the Council of Architecture, I have addressed them here.
CAN YOU APPLY FOR REGISTRATION IF YOU HAVE NOT RECEIVED YOUR ARCHITECTURAL CERTIFICATE?
In case, you have not received the architectural certificate pending the award of the same by the University, you may for the time being submit, IN ORIGINAL, a provisional certificate/passing certificate issued by the competent authority of the University i.e. Asst. Registrar/Dy. Registrar/Registrar or any other competent authorised authority, along with a duly attested copy of the same. As soon as you receive the original architectural certificate, you must send an attested copy of the same to the registrar of the Council of Architecture.
NOTE: The Council of architecture will only accept the Provisional Certificate/Passing Certificate issued by the University and will not accept a provisional certificate issued by an institution. Also, the provisional certificate will not be accepted if the final degree/diploma for the applicant’s batch has already been awarded.
WHAT IS THE PROCEDURE IF A MARK SHEET IS MISSING?
HOW DOES ONE APPLY FOR CHANGE OF NAME AFTER MARRIAGE?
In case of change of surname consequent upon marriage, you should fill up the application for registration online with the changed name along with supporting documents such as, application form for change of name and a copy of the Marriage Certificate duly attested by either a Gazetted Officer or Notary Public/Oath Commissioner OR alternatively, an attested copy of a joint affidavit submitted along with husband executed on a non–judicial stamp paper of Rs.10/-, towards change of surname consequent upon marriage.
WHAT SHOULD BE DONE TO APPLY FOR CHANGE OF NAME?
In case where name is changed due to reasons other than marriage, you should fill up the application for registration online with the changed name along with supporting documents such as, application form for change of name and a copy of the Gazette Notification from the respective State/Central Government, duly attested by either a Gazetted Officer or Notary Public/Oath Commissioner.
NOTE: In case of change of name, only the new name must be entered under the column provided for. However, if there is any correction in the details of the name i.e., name order (First name, Middle name and/or Surname or any correction, the same can be done by cutting and correcting the same on the hard copy, at the place but it has to be countersigned by the applicant.
WHAT SHOULD BE DONE IF THE NAME ON THE ARCHITECTURAL CERTIFICATE DOES NOT MATCH WITH THE NAME ON THE BASIS OF WHICH REGISTRATION IS SOUGHT?
In case, your name or the nomenclature of the qualification pursued by you is mentioned incorrectly in your architectural certificate, or the mark sheets that you are submitting, you must get the same corrected from the competent authority of the University/institution before you submit it for registration.
CAN AN ARCHITECT HAVE AN ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATION ENTERED IN THE REGISTER OF ARCHITECTS?
An architect is entitled to have any additional architectural qualification(s), entered in the Certificate of Registration as an additional qualification on payment of additional qualification fee of Rs.200/- (per qualification). But only recognized architectural qualification(s) included in the schedule of qualifications appended to the Architects Act, 1972, can be entered on the Certificate of Registration.
The additional recognized architectural qualification certificates IN ORIGINAL, for verification and return by Registered Post, along with a copy of the same duly attested by either a Gazetted Officer or Notary Public/Oath Commissioner must be enclosed along with the application for registration.
NOTE: Please ensure that the nomenclature of the qualification pursued by you is correctly mentioned on the recognised architectural qualification certificate and marksheets being submitted. In case, the nomenclature of the qualification is not mentioned correctly, you must get the same corrected from the competent authority of the University,before submitting to the Council.
WHEN IS THE CERTIFICATE OF REGISTRATION ISSUED?
If the Registrar is of the opinion that the applicant is entitled to be registered, then he shall enter the name of the applicant in the Register and issue a Certificate of Registration.
WHEN IS THE REGISTER PRINTED?
After the first day of April every year, the Registrar prints copies of the up-to-date Register, which are then available to persons applying for a copy, on payment of the prescribed fee and shall be evidence that on the said date, the persons whose names are entered therein were architects.
WHAT HAPPENS IF THE CoA REJECTS YOUR APPLICATION FOR REGISTRATION?
Any person whose application for registration is rejected by the Registrar, can within three months of the date of rejection, appeal to the Council.
DOES THE REGISTRATION WITH THE CoA HAVE TO BE RENEWED?
The registration shall be granted initially for two calendars years. In order to renew your registration after its expiry, you may make payment of the prescribed renewal fee annually or opt for one time payment as and when your renewal fee falls due. One Time Payment can be opted at the time of renewal, subject to submission of a duly attested copy of the final Degree/Diploma certificate received after convocation, if not submitted earlier.
NOTE: Even though you pay a one time payment, the registration is given for a period of 10 years at a time and the certificate of registration must be sent IN ORIGINAL for further endorsement before the 10 year period ends along with the form for further endorsement.
For details regarding renewal of registration go to my next post:
The Council Of Architecture (CoA) in India has stipulated guidelines and regulations regarding an Architect’s profession and education. To know more, go to:
- An Architect’s Educational Qualifications
- An Architect’s Services and Responsibilities
- An Architect’s Charges
- An Architect’s Conduct
- Registration of an Architect with the CoA
- Architectural Competitions
If you found this post useful, I would really love it if you pin it or share it. All it takes is a simple click on the “pin it” “like,” “share,” “tweet,” or Google+ buttons below the post.
Also, unlike many other sites, I do not insist that your ad blocker be turned off to allow you into my site. This is because I know that my content will be useful to you. But putting up posts regularly takes up time and hard work and I am able to run this site only because of the ads. So I will be much obliged, if you would turn off your ad blocker. Thank you!
- Natural Flooring Materials | An Architect Explains
- Hardwood Flooring | An Architect Explains