Any person desirous of practising as an ‘Architect’ in India is required to be registered in the Register, with the Council of Architecture (CoA). He shall be entitled on payment of the prescribed fees to have his name entered in the register, if he resides or carries on the profession of architect in India and holds a recognised qualification, or does not hold such a qualification but, being a citizen of India, has been engaged in practice as an architect for a period of not less than five years prior to 27.04.1974.
A person other than a citizen of India belonging to a country in which, a citizen of India holding an architectural qualification registrable in that country is permitted to enter and practise the profession of architect, shall be entitled to registration by virtue of a recognised qualification. This is a scheme of reciprocity practiced by the Council.
The Central Government provides a Register of Architects in India. The Council of Architecture prepares and maintains the Register in accordance with the provisions of the Architect’s Act. The Register includes the following particulars:
2) FILL UP THE APPLICATION FORM: With an UserID and Password, you can login with Council’s Website and fill-up the application form in Proper Case and upload your recent color photograph of size 3.5 x 3.5cm upto 10KB (max) and Signatures upto 4 KB (max).
3) TAKE A PRINTOUT OF FILLED FORM: After filling up the application take a printout of duly filled form on good quality bond A4 size paper (preferably colored one).
4) CORRECTIONS: Correction(s), if any, can be made by the Applicant in the hard copy of Generated/Printed Application form by countersigning at the place of correction before sending to the council.
5) ENROLLMENT NUMBER: Enrollment number i.e., (COA-Six digit Number) is mandatory / as applicable (for admissions from the Academic Year 2008-09 onwards). Please make sure that the Enrollment number entered should be strictly in format as given in the Enrollment numbers of the students are already available with the respective Institutions and the same may also be obtained from the website www.coa.gov.in.
6) SEND THE FILLED FORM TO THE CoA OFFICE: The duly signed Form may be sent to the council’s office enclosing therein requisite documents as per the checklist mentioned below. Each application shall be accompanied by Registration Fee (Non-refundable) of Rs.600/- by way of cash at the counter or by demand draft drawn in favor of “Council of Architecture”, payable at New Delhi or alternately the payment can also be made online through login id details.
7) SUBMIT TO CoA: Do remember to press ‘Submit to CoA’ Button after making payment online. It ensures that the application form is in order otherwise your application shall not be available for further processing.
1) APPLICATION FORM: After filling up the application online, take a printout of the duly filled form on good quality bond A4 size paper (preferably colored one) and sign it. Please ensure that the spelling of your name is strictly as per the recognised university architectural qualification certificate and mark sheets submitted by you.
In case, you have not received the architectural certificate pending the award of the same by the University, you may for the time being submit, IN ORIGINAL, a provisional certificate/passing certificate issued by the competent authority of the University i.e. Asst. Registrar/Dy. Registrar/Registrar or any other competent authorised authority, along with a duly attested copy of the same. Please note that provisional certificates issued by an institution shall not be accepted in cases where the final degree/diploma certificate has already been awarded by a University to the applicant’s batch. As soon as you receive the original architectural certificate, you must send an attested copy of the same to the registrar.
WHAT IS THE PROCEDURE IF A MARK SHEET IS MISSING?
In case of change of surname consequent upon marriage, you should fill up the application for registration online with the changed name along with supporting documents such as, application form for change of name and a copy of the Marriage Certificate duly attested by either a Gazetted Officer or Notary Public/Oath Commissioner OR alternatively, an attested copy of an affidavit executed on a non–judicial stamp paper of Rs.10/-, towards change of surname consequent upon marriage.
In case where name is changed due to reasons other than marriage, you should fill up the application for registration online with the changed name and take a copy along with supporting documents such as, application form for change of name and a copy of the Gazette Notification from the respective State/Central Government, duly attested by either a Gazetted Officer or Notary Public/Oath Commissioner.
In case, your name or the nomenclature of the qualification pursued by you is mentioned incorrectly in your architectural certificate, or the mark sheets that you are submitting, you must get the same corrected from the competent authority of the University/institution before you submit it for registration.
CAN AN ARCHITECT HAVE AN ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATION ENTERED IN THE REGISTER OF ARCHITECTS?
An architect is entitled to have any additional architectural qualification(s) which he may obtain, entered in the Certificate of Registration as an additional qualification on payment of additional qualification fee of Rs.200/- (per qualification). But only recognized architectural qualification(s) included in the schedule of qualifications appended to the Architects Act, 1972, can be entered on the Certificate of Registration.
The additional recognized architectural qualification certificates IN ORIGINAL, for verification and return by Registered Post, along with a copy of the same duly attested by either a Gazetted Officer or Notary Public/Oath Commissioner must be enclosed along with the application for registration.
If the Registrar is of the opinion that the applicant is entitled to be registered, then he shall enter the name of the applicant in the Register and issue a Certificate of Registration.
After the first day of April every year, the Registrar prints copies of the up-to-date Register, which are then available to persons applying for a copy, on payment of the prescribed fee and shall be evidence that on the said date, the persons whose names are entered therein were architects.
Any person whose application for registration is rejected by the Registrar, can within three months of the date of rejection, appeal to the Council.
For details regarding renewal of registration go to my next post:
If you found this post useful, I would really love it if you pin it or share it. I have not blocked the site just because your ad blocker is switched on because I hope my content will be useful to you. But I am able to run this site only because of the ads. So I will be obliged if you turn off your ad blocker. Thank you!