In this post, I have described the Vastu guidelines for the placement of rooms, the entrance, etc., in a South facing property. But being an Architect, I cannot just list these guidelines unless I explain the scientific basis to them. So, I have asked and answered the questions related to South facing properties, under the following headings:
What is a South facing house?
What does Vastu Shastra actually say about South facing houses?
What are the Vastu Guidelines for the location of the main door in South facing houses?
What should one avoid in South facing houses?
What rules should one follow in South facing houses?
WHAT IS A SOUTH FACING HOUSE?
The house/site orientation is identified by the direction of the road. When you stand in the site or at the entrance of your house and face outside to the road, the direction you face is said to be the house/site orientation. So, if you face South as you come out of the site/house onto the road, then it is a South facing house.
WHAT DOES VASTU SHASTRA SAY ABOUT SOUTH FACING HOUSES?
You must understand that Vastu Shastra has always said that all the directions are equally good, and the auspiciousness of a home doesn’t depends upon the direction. The most important factor is the correct placement (location) of the main door/entrance door. Hence, with South facing houses, one thing that can make it auspicious is the correct positioning of the entrance or main door of the home.
However, the so-called ‘Vastu specialists’ insist that living in a South or West facing house will invite trouble in life etc. and that only East, or North facing properties are good. This is a false myth propagated to make you spend money for solutions and corrections as suggested by the ‘specialists’. The only reason why East, or North facing properties are preferred is because it is easier to orient each and every room in the ideal locations, recommended by Vastu Shastra whereas in a South facing site, it takes more effort to plan the positioning of rooms according to Vastu guidelines. But that does not mean that Vastu Shastra guidelines cannot be applied in a South or West facing site. So take heart!
For each and every direction – be it North, East, South or West –Vastu Shastra lays down specific rules for locating the main entrance door of the house. You must locate the entrance at only the “allowed” places and never in the “prohibited” zones.
WHAT ARE THE VASTU GUIDELINES FOR THE POSITIONING OF THE MAIN DOOR IN SOUTH FACING HOUSES?
In a South facing house, the entrance or main door of the house must be located on the 4th pada of the south side. In order to understand the concept of “pada”, imagine and divide the South length of the house from the South-East (SE) corner to the South-West (SW) corner into 9 equal parts; (each part is called as pada or step in Vastu Shastra). The SE pada is the 1st pada and the SW pada is 9th. This has been indicated in the image below. You can see that that only the “pada” numbered 4 is in green color and the pada’s to the right i.e. pada number 1, 2 and 3 are in orange color where the remaining pada’s, from 5 to 9 are in red color.
Here’s what this entire thing means:
- The 4th pada (green one) is the best and the most auspicious for entrance or main door of a South facing home.
- The pada’s 1, 2 and 3 are the ones that you can use (for entrance/main door) if pada 4 alone is small. But make sure to include pada 4 along with padas 3, 2 or 1. If you’re using space up to pada 1, then make sure that the entrance/main door doesn’t touch the SE corner. Leave at least 6 inches from SE wall.
- The pada’s 5 to 9 are prohibited as per vastu shastra, for having an entrance door. Hence, a main door in padas 5 to 9 is inauspicious.
Here’s a summary of the Vastu guidelines for location of the main door in SOUTH facing houses:
- According to Vastu Shastra, for a South facing house the 4th pada (green coloured) towards the centre in the SE part is the ideal position for locating the main door of the home.
- If it is not possible, then the entrance can be located in the padas 1, 2,3 (yellow coloured), towards the SE but you should try to include a part of pada 4.
- Padas 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9, the red ones, should be avoided i.e. you should not locate the entrance of your home in the South West part.
ACCORDING TO VASTU SHASTRA, WHAT SHOULD ONE AVOID IN SOUTH FACING HOUSES?
- Avoid placing the entrance in the 5th,, 6th,,7th, 8th and 9th padas on the South West part of the house.
- Avoid locating a bore-well or water sump in the SW part of the site.
- Never buy a plot or flat having extension in the South or SW.
- Avoid having a Kitchen in SW part of the house.
- Avoid a plot that slopes from North to South.
- Avoid a cut or extension in South.
- Avoid car parking in South.
- Avoid keeping more open space in South than North side.
ACCORDING TO VASTU SHASTRA, WHAT TIPS SHOULD ONE FOLLOW IN SOUTH FACING HOUSES?
- Choose a plot that slopes from South to North.
- Place the Kitchen in SE or NW of the house; But avoid SW.
- Locate the entrance in the 4th pada in the South side.
- You can also use 1st , 2nd and 3rd padas along with the 4th pada, but make sure the 4th pada is included.
- The walls in South and West must be thicker and higher than those in the East and North.
- While cooking face towards East (for South-East kitchen) or West (for North-West kitchen).
- Master bedroom in SW is the best location; if the house has multiple floors then locate the master bedroom at the highest floor.
- Kid’s room can be in South, West or North-West.
- A guest bedroom can be placed in North-West.
- You can have the staircase in South.
So now a lot of you may feel reassured that it is okay if you have a South facing main door or South facing site and it is not something to be worried about. If you believe in Vastu Shastra, it makes sense to make some of the tweaks as suggested in this post to help you feel totally reassured.
Though I normally explain the Vastu Principles scientifically, in this post I chose to only list the Vastu guidelines because I have realised that most of my readers are not keen to know the science behind the guidelines- they only want guidance for the correct location of the main entrance door and rooms. But if you are interested, you could go to my scientifically explained posts:
- Scientific Vastu Guidelines For The Main Entrance Door
- Scientific Vastu Guidelines For Doors And Windows
- Scientific Vastu Guidelines For Interiors Of a House
If you feel that the above information on South facing house vastu shastra is valuable then please share the same with others too. All it takes is a simple click on the “pin it” “like,” “share,” “tweet,” or Google+ buttons below the post.
- Scientific Vastu Shastra | Explained By An Architect
- Scientific Vastu Shastra | Principles For A House
- Scientific Vastu Shastra | Factors That Impact A House
- Scientific Vastu Guidelines | Selecting The Right Site
- Scientific Vastu Guidelines | Designing A House
- Scientific Vastu Guidelines | Interiors Of A House
- Scientific Vastu Guidelines | Construction Of A House