In other words, facing of a house is not a guarantee of it being auspicious, there’s something more to it than facing and that’s the placement of main door/entrance and remaining rooms of a home. To know more about the correct placement of the entrance door, read on…
In this post, I have described the Vastu guidelines for the placement of rooms, the entrance, etc., in a North facing property. But being an Architect, I cannot just list these guidelines unless I feel that there is a scientific basis to them. So, I have explained only the Vatsu Guidelines that make sense, under the following headings:
What is a North facing house?
What does Vastu Shastra actually say about North facing houses?
What are the Vastu Guidelines for the location of the main door in North facing houses?
What should one avoid in North facing houses?
What rules should one follow in North facing houses?
WHAT IS A NORTH FACING HOUSE?
The house/site orientation is identified by the direction of the road. When you stand in the site and face the road, the direction you face is said to be the house/site orientation. So, if you face North, then it is a North facing house.
WHAT DOES VASTU SHASTRA SAY ABOUT NORTH FACING HOUSES?
You might have heard from the so-called ‘Vastu specialists’ that only North and East facing properties are auspicious and West and South facing houses should be avoided. But that is not true. In reality, as per Vastu Shastra, all the directions are equally good and the auspiciousness of a home doesn’t depend upon the direction. The most important factor is the correct placement (location) of the main door/entrance door. For each and every direction – be it North, East, South or West –Vastu Shastra lays down specific rules for locating the main entrance door of the house. You must locate the entrance at only “allowed” places and never locate it in the “prohibited” zones.
WHAT ARE THE VASTU GUIDELINES FOR THE LOCATION OF THE MAIN DOOR IN NORTH FACING HOUSES?
To figure out where to place the main door in North facing houses, imagine and divide the North length of the house from the North-East (NE) corner to the North-West (NW) corner into 9 equal parts; (each part is called as pada or step in Vastu Shastra). The NE pada is the 1st pada and the NW pada is 9th. This has been indicated in the image below. You can see that the padas 1,2,3,4 are blue in colour, 5 is green in color; 6,7,8,9 are yellow in colour.
Here’s a summary of the Vastu guidelines for location of the main door in North facing houses:
- The 5th pada (green one) is the best and the most auspicious for entrance or main door of a North facing home. It’s the location of Kuber (the God of wealth) and attracts money.
- The pada’s 1, 2, 3 and 4 are the ones that you can use (for entrance/main door) if pada 5 alone is small. But make sure to include pada 5 along with padas 4, 3, 2 or 1. If you’re using space up to pada 1, then make sure that the entrance/main door doesn’t touch the NE corner. Leave at least 6 inches of space from NE corner.
- The pada’s 6 to 9 are to be used if there’s no option to place the main door in any other padas.
- From this summary you can see that no pada in the North side is considered “inauspicious” and “prohibited” unlike in other directions. This is the reason why the North direction is most favoured in Vastu Shastra.
ACCORDING TO VASTU SHASTRA, WHAT SHOULD ONE AVOID IN NORTH FACING HOUSES?
- Avoid a toilet in the NE corner.
- Avoid bedroom in NE corner.
- Avoid a septic tank in NE corner.
- Avoid staircase in North side of the home especially from padas 1st to 5th.
- Avoid having a kitchen in NE corner; if you happen to have a kitchen in NE then this post will help you.
- Avoid a plot that slopes from North to South.
- Avoid big trees in North side of the house.
- Avoid having clutter, dirt, dustbins etc. towards North and NE.
- Avoid a cut in NE corner.
ACCORDING TO VASTU SHASTRA, WHAT TIPS SHOULD ONE FOLLOW IN NORTH FACING HOUSES?
- Place the main door in 5th pada; this’ll give lots of wealth.
- You can place entrance in padas 4th to 1st if pada 5 alone is small.
- Make walls in North and East slightly shorter and thinner than South and West.
- Make sure that kitchen is in SE or NW.
- Face East (in SE kitchen) and West (in NW kitchen) while cooking.
- Make a Pooja room in NE corner.
- You can make a living room in NE corner.
- Make a guest bedroom in NW.
- Choose a plot that slopes from South to North.
- Make the master bedroom in SW.
So now, you must have figured out that a North facing property does not automatically mean that it is auspicious. If you believe in Vastu Shastra, it makes sense to make some tweaks as suggested in this post to help you feel totally reassured.
- Vatsu Guidelines For Main Entrance Door
- Vastu Guidelines For Doors And Windows
- Vastu Guidelines For Interiors Of a House
If you feel that the above information on Vastu guidelines for North facing houses, is valuable then please share the same with others too. All it takes is a simple click on the “pin it” “like,” “share,” “tweet,” or Google+ buttons below the post.
- Scientific Vastu Shastra | Explained By An Architect
- Scientific Vastu Shastra | Principles For A House
- Scientific Vastu Shastra | Factors That Impact A House
- Scientific Vastu Guidelines | Selecting The Right Site
- Scientific Vastu Guidelines | Designing A House
- Scientific Vastu Guidelines | Interiors Of A House
- Scientific Vastu Guidelines | Construction Of A House