A Study is used for Studying, Writing, Reading, Using the Computer, Storage of files, Books and as a Library. Sometimes, in smaller houses, a Study is also used as a Bedroom by a teenager or pre-adolescent child or an adult.
The design of a Study room requires careful planning considerations in order to have a comfortable and peaceful space. As an Architect, I have explained some of the design considerations that you must take into account before you plan or renovate your Study room. They have been explained here under the following headings:
What is the planning consideration for a Study?
What is the typical furniture used in a Study?
What are the minimum clearances to be kept in Study?
What are the different types of furniture arrangements in a Study?
What is the minimum space required for a Study cum bedroom?
What is the best location for a Study
WHAT ARE THE PLANNING CONSIDERATIONS FOR A STUDY?
- Size and type of Furniture.
- Space allowance for Furniture.
- Clearance and space around the Furniture for movement.
- Storage space for books, files, clothes, etc
WHAT IS THE TYPICAL FURNITURE USED IN A STUDY?
The Typical pieces of furniture in a Study and their sizes are listed below.
- Desk – 2’6″ x 5’0″, 2’0″ x 4’0″
- Computer Table – 2’0″ x 2’3″(smallest), 2’6″ x 2’6″, 3’0″ x 2’6″, 3’6″ x 2’6″ etc.
- Chair – 1’10” x 1’10″File storage – 1’4″ x 2’4″
- Single Bed – 3′ x 6’10” (Cramped for an adult but suitable for a child)
- Twin Bed – 3’3″ x 6’10” or 3’4″ x 7’0″ ( Okay for an adult)
- Double Bed – 4’6″ x 6’10” or 4’6″ x 7’0″ (Cramped for 2 adults, but okay for 2 children)
- Dresser or Chest of Drawers – 1’6″ x 3’0″, 1’10” x 4’0″
- Bedside Table – 1’2″ x 1’2″, 1’6″ x 1’6″, 2’0″ x 2’0″
- Closet or Wardrobe – Each shutter size is about 1’6″ x 7’0″. A 2 shutter Wardrobe is the minimum in a single occupancy bedroom and hence is sufficient in a Study which is also used for sleeping.
WHAT ARE THE MINIMUM CLEARANCES TO BE KEPT IN A STUDY?
To ensure adequate space for movement and the convenient use of furniture in the Study, the following minimum clearances must be observed:
- Wall and the furniture – 2″.
- Between furniture units – 3″.
- Space to push back the chair from the Desk and pulling out the desk drawers – 3’0″.
- For using and arising from a computer table – 2’6″.
- In front of the file storage for pulling out drawers – 3’6″.
- In front of the desk/computer table to allow walking past a person seated at the desk – 4’0″.
- In front of Closet, Dresser/Chest of Drawers to open and use them – 3’6″.
- On one side of bed to allow for movement and making bed – 2’0″.
- On the least used side of the bed for making the bed – 1’0″. However, in case of single beds, they can be placed against the wall on the least used side.
- For movement from the door through the room – 2’6″.
- Turning diameter for a wheelchair – 5’0″.
WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENT TYPES OF FURNITURE ARRANGEMENTS IN A STUDY?
Right-angle arrangement of only office equipment: With furniture consisting of a Desk and chair and a file storage on one wall and a Computer table at right angles to the desk on the adjacent wall, the minimum space occupied is 7’8″ x 7’6″.
One-wall arrangement of only office equipment: With furniture consisting of a Desk and chair, a Computer table and file storage on one wall, the minimum space occupied is 9’4″ x 6’4″.
WHAT IS THE MINIMUM SPACE REQUIRED FOR A STUDY CUM BEDROOM?
With a single bed and bedside table, study desk/computer table, chair and 2 shutter closet, will be a minimum size of 8’0″ x 7’6″.
With a single bed and bedside table, a dresser/file storage/computer table, study desk with chair, 2 shutter closet, will be of a minimum size of 9’0″ x 11’0″. If the cot size is bigger, then the room dimensions will be more.
WHAT IS THE BEST LOCATION FOR A STUDY?
The study is a private space used for studying, reading, writing, working, sleeping, etc. Hence there is a need for privacy, quiet and peace. It should also be well lit and airy and away from the noisy parts of the house and the rooms where guests are entertained. For some tips on the best location of a Study, go to:
Good placement of furniture in a study: The correct placement of furniture determines whether a room looks spacious, aesthetic and un-cluttered. It also decides whether the room becomes a relaxed place for study and learning.
If you found this post useful, I would really love it if you pin it or share it. All it takes is a simple click on the “pin it” “like,” “share,” “tweet,” or Google+ buttons below the post.
Also, unlike many other sites, I do not insist that your ad blocker be turned off to allow you into my site. This is because I know that my content will be useful to you. But putting up posts regularly takes up time and hard work and I am able to run this site only because of the ads. So I will be much obliged, if you would turn off your ad blocker. Thank you!