SCIENTIFIC VASTU FOR NORTH FACING HOUSE | An Architect Explains
The direction of the main door of the house is an important consideration for people who follow Vastu Shastra rules. Hence, given a chance to select among North, South, East or West facing houses, most people will tend to choose the North facing one because it is considered the most auspicious. The second choice will be the East facing house. However, a note of precaution- not every North facing house is ideal. The placement of the entrance dictates whether a North facing house is auspicious or inauspicious according to Vastu Shastra Principles.
In other words, facing of a house is not a guarantee of it being auspicious, there’s something more to it than facing and that’s the placement of main door/entrance and remaining rooms of a home. To know more about the correct placement of the entrance door, read on…
In this post, I have described the Vastu guidelines for the placement of rooms, the entrance, etc., in a North facing property. But being an Architect, I cannot just list these guidelines unless I feel that there is a scientific basis to them. So, I have explained only the Vatsu Guidelines that make sense, under the following headings:
What is a North facing house?
What does Vastu Shastra actually say about North facing houses?
What are the Vastu Guidelines for the location of the main door in North facing houses?
What are the Vastu Guidelines for the location of the staircase in North facing houses?
What are the Vastu Guidelines for the location of the pooja room in North facing houses?
What are the Vastu Guidelines for the location of the kitchen in North facing houses?
What are the Vastu Guidelines for the location of the toilets in North facing houses?
What should one avoid in North facing houses?
What rules should one follow in North facing houses?
WHAT IS A NORTH FACING HOUSE?
Many people find it difficult to identify the orientation of the house/site. The House/Site orientation can be recognised by one simple action. Stand inside the house or the Site and face out of the main door or gate, as the case may be. The direction you face is said to be the House/Site orientation. Therefore, if you face West, then it is a West facing house. Thus, if you face North, then it is a North facing house.
WHAT DOES VASTU SHASTRA SAY ABOUT NORTH FACING HOUSES?
You might have heard from the so-called ‘Vastu specialists’ that only North and East facing properties are auspicious and West and South facing houses should be avoided. But that is not true. In reality, as per Vastu Shastra, all the directions are equally good and the auspiciousness of a home doesn’t depend upon the direction. The most important factor is the correct placement (location) of the main door/entrance door. For each and every direction –be it North, East, South or West –Vastu Shastra lays down specific rules for locating the main entrance door of the house. You must locate the entrance at only “allowed” places and never locate it in the “prohibited” zones.
Now, since we’re dealing with North facing houses, let’s have a look at the Vastu guidelines for them.
WHAT ARE THE VASTU GUIDELINES FOR THE LOCATION OF THE MAIN DOOR IN NORTH FACING HOUSES?
To figure out where to place the main door in North facing houses, imagine and divide the North length of the house from the North-East (NE) corner point to the North-West (NW) corner point into 9 equal parts; (each part is called as pada or step in Vastu Shastra). The NE pada is the 1st pada and the NW pada is 9th. This has been indicated in the image below. You can see that the padas 1,2,3,4 are blue in colour, 5 is green in color; 6,7,8,9 are yellow in colour.
Here’s a summary of the Vastu guidelines for location of the main door in North facing houses:
- The 5th pada (green one) is the best and the most auspicious for entrance or main door of a North facing home. It’s the location of Kuber (the God of wealth) and attracts money.
- The pada’s 1, 2, 3 and 4 are the ones that you can use (for entrance/main door) if pada 5 alone is small. But make sure to include pada 5 along with padas 4, 3, 2 or 1. If you’re using space up to pada 1, then make sure that the entrance/main door doesn’t touch the NE corner. Leave at least 6 inches of space from NE corner.
- The pada’s 6 to 9 are to be used if there’s no option to place the main door in any other padas.
- From this summary you can see that no pada in the North side is considered “inauspicious” and “prohibited” unlike in other directions. This is the reason why the North direction is most favoured in Vastu Shastra.
WHAT ARE THE VASTU GUIDELINES FOR THE LOCATION OF THE STAIRCASE IN NORTH FACING HOUSES?
WHAT ARE THE VASTU GUIDELINES FOR THE LOCATION OF THE POOJA ROOM IN NORTH FACING HOUSES?
The first choice for a Pooja Room is the North-East Direction or the Centre of the house. Second choice is East or West Directions of the house with the idols facing West or East respectively. However, if none of these corners are available, the pooja mandir can be located in the NE corner of any room except bedrooms, toilets and store rooms.
To know more about the scientific reasoning behind these guidelines, go to my post: Vastu guidelines for Pooja Rooms
WHAT ARE THE VASTU GUIDELINES FOR THE LOCATION OF THE KITCHEN IN NORTH FACING HOUSES?
First choice for Kitchen is the South-East. The second choice for the Kitchen is the North-West. But avoid the Kitchen in the North-East.
To know more about the scientific reasoning behind these guidelines, go to my post: Vastu Guidelines For Kitchen.
But if by chance the kitchen is located in the wrong position, there are remedies which you can read about in my post Remedies for North-East defects.
WHAT ARE THE VASTU GUIDELINES FOR THE LOCATION OF THE TOILETS IN NORTH FACING HOUSES?
First choice for bathroom/toilet is the North-West quadrant of the home but not the North-West corner. Second choice for a bathroom/toilet is the North-East quadrant but not the North-East corner and the third choice is the South-West quadrant but not the South-West corner. Avoid all corners and the centre of the house.
To know more about the scientific reasoning behind these guidelines, go to my post: Vastu Guidelines For Bathrooms/Toilets
If by chance the toilet is located in the wrong position, there are remedies which you can read about in my post Remedies for North-East defects.
ACCORDING TO VASTU SHASTRA, WHAT SHOULD ONE AVOID IN NORTH FACING HOUSES?
- Avoid a toilet in the NE corner.
- Avoid bedroom in NE corner.
- Avoid a septic tank in NE corner.
- Avoid staircase in North side of the home especially from padas 1st to 5th.
- Avoid having a kitchen in NE corner; if you happen to have a kitchen in NE then this post will help you.
- Avoid a plot that slopes from North to South.
- Avoid big trees in North side of the house.
- Avoid having clutter, dirt, dustbins etc. towards North and NE.
- Avoid a cut in NE corner.
ACCORDING TO VASTU SHASTRA, WHAT TIPS SHOULD ONE FOLLOW IN NORTH FACING HOUSES?
- Place the main door in 5th pada; this’ll give lots of wealth.
- You can place entrance in padas 4th to 1st if pada 5 alone is small.
- Make walls in North and East slightly shorter and thinner than South and West.
- Make sure that kitchen is in SE or NW.
- Face East (in SE kitchen) and West (in NW kitchen) while cooking.
- Make a Pooja room in NE corner.
- You can make a living room in NE corner.
- Make a guest bedroom in NW.
- Choose a plot that slopes from South to North.
- Make the master bedroom in SW.
So now, you must have figured out that a North facing property does not automatically mean that it is auspicious. If you believe in Vastu Shastra, it makes sense to make some tweaks as suggested in this post to help you feel totally reassured.
Visit my blog on House Construction In India and carry out an Vastu evaluation exercise to judge whether the orientation of a Site is as per Vaastu Shastra principles. Accordingly, you can decide if you want to buy the Site. In case you already possess a Site, then you can decide whether you want to make some corrections to the Site, so that it is suitable as per Vaastu.
- Vatsu Guidelines For Main Entrance Door
- Vastu Guidelines For Doors And Windows
- Vastu Guidelines For Interiors Of a House
- Vastu Shastra | Explained By An Architect
- Vastu Shastra | Principles For A House
- Vastu Shastra | Factors That Impact A House
- Vastu Guidelines | Designing A House
- Vastu Guidelines | Interiors Of A House
- Vastu Guidelines | Exteriors Of A House
- Vastu Guidelines | Selecting The Right Site
- Vastu Guidelines | Construction Of A House
- Vastu Guidelines | Rituals For A House
- Vastu Guidelines | Non-Residential Buildings
- Remedies For Vastu Defects
If you found this post useful, all it takes is a simple click on the “pin it” “like,” “share,” “tweet,” or Google+ buttons below the post.
14 thoughts on “SCIENTIFIC VASTU FOR NORTH FACING HOUSE | An Architect Explains”
What is the reason behind placing the main door in 5 pada or between 1 to 4 pada? Cant see any science behind it. And i guess this question is valid for all other directions aswell, coz none of them has any explanations.
My kitchen is in north east and cooking direction is same. Is it ok , if not please suggest
Sir i need plan for north facing.26×35
Good info, thank you.
I have a 60×40 site which measures 60 from east to west & 40 from North to South (means north direction is wider than East). Which direction should have main door East or North? Is there anything like , wider side of the plot should have the main door for the house?
Would be happy to discuss an important matter. I’m from Mauritius.
Please call me on +23057932658 (Whatsapp).
Awaiting your call.
Can you please help me out find my house location and their vastu?
Naar welk richting moet gekeken worden als de keuken in ht Noord West is?
Graag reageren aub
Sir, In the diagram, please make red as inauspicious and green as auspicious. Correct the legend according. Also in north facing house why the entrance is shown in East direction.Having some confusion on that
Excellent articulation, bridging the traditional and modern points on the topic.
I had a question..
North facing property, one apartment in each of three floors. Lift and staircase in N-W corner. Question as follows:
Main door planned at 4-5 pada of North.. can Pooja room be located in 1,2,3 padas of North..?
Main door in 1,2 pada and Pooja room in 4,5 pada behind the main door is auspicious..?
West facing plot for house construction..is it good to buy??
What if it’s north facing but south is bigger than north? North is narrower than south?
I am constructing a North facing house. Kitchen is in the NE. Is it ok. Please reply.
Your article is very helpful. I have Saturn in the 10th house and have been adviced for west entrance house. Please advice
I have few questions.
1. Can the Master bedroom be in northwest Direction?
2. Can the head of the bed in master bed room be in South direction?
When there is no choice, it is perfectly okay to have your master bedroom in the NW direction and the head in the South.