Carpet and rugs are popular, resilient flooring options in cold areas. These make the room cozy, warm and comfortable to walk on. Carpeting provides a soft, safe flooring for kids to play and reduces the risk of injury during a fall. Carpets also have good sound insulation properties. However, Carpets require extra maintenance compared to vinyl or rubber tile.
With so many different colors, materials and designs available, it can be difficult to choose the best carpet for your home. Some materials require frequent cleaning, some others wear out quickly or fade soon. Others come with a high price tag and may have an adverse effect on your health. So choose your carpet after considering all the advantages, disadvantages and styles that are available. As an Architect, I have explained all there is to know about vinyl flooring under the following headings:
What is carpet padding?
What are the types of carpet flooring?
What are the advantages of using carpet flooring?
What are the disadvantages of using carpet flooring?
Where is carpet flooring best suited?
WHAT IS CARPET PADDING?
Carpeting relies on a layer of padding for support, strength and a bit of extra cushioning. It is usually made from rubber or foam materials. It conceals sub-floor imperfections, acts as insulation to keep your home warm and absorbs sound to eliminate neighbor noise. Most importantly, padding prevents carpet backing and fibers from coming apart over time.
WHAT ARE THE TYPES OF CARPET?
Carpet comes in many styles, including Plush, Saxony, Berber, Textured and Frieze. These terms apply to its pile- the surface you see, created from yarn tufts that are either folded over into loops, cut straight across or both. While each style has a distinctive look, choose a style that suits your lifestyle and requirement.
- Plush carpeting: is made from tightly twisted pile, and is thick, soft and inviting. But it also shows footprints and vacuum tracks, and can develop areas that appear shaded because the normal direction of the carpet fibers has been reversed.
- Saxony: the most common type of carpeting, is similar to plush but less luxurious. This carpet works best in low-traffic areas like formal living rooms and master bedrooms.
- Berber carpeting: is crafted from continuous fiber loops and is flat and dense. Therefore, Berber is extremely durable and doesn’t show tracks, soil and stains which makes it perfect for high-traffic areas, or places frequented by kids.
- Textured carpeting: is made from fibers cut to different heights, which cause them to reflect light. This makes it difficult to see tracks and dirt. So this type of carpeting is also great for high-traffic areas.
WHAT ARE THE ADVANTAGES OF CARPETED FLOORS?
- Comfort: Carpet is comfortable to walk on.
- Easy to lay: Carpet is the easiest and most cost-effective floor covering to replace and upgrade.
- Warm and soft: Walking into a carpeted room feels good and comfortable on your feet after a busy day.
- Cold climates: Carpet flooring provides extra heat insulation and is therefore suited in colder climates.
- Absorbs sound: Carpet is a good sound insulator.
- Household Safety: Carpet flooring saves kids or elderly people from serious injuries since they are prone to falls.
- Choice: Carpets come in so many colors and styles, so you can choose which best matches the color scheme of your room. You can choose darker carpets for a warmer feel or lighter-colored ones for an airy ambiance.
- Texture: of carpets can add dimension to an otherwise bland-looking room.
WHAT ARE THE DISADVANTAGES OF CARPET FLOORING?
- Can Stain: Carpets can stain and it is difficult to remove stains.
- Wear and tear: Low-quality carpets may quickly show wear.
- Fades: in direct sunlight.
- Absorbs odours: Carpet being porous absorbs and retains odours.
- Collects dust: Carpets are not recommended for those with allergies.
- Maintenance: Carpets require high levels of maintenance, and if they are not properly maintained, they can make your room look dirty and unsightly instead of warm and inviting. It is better to steam clean at least once every 12 months.
- Sensitivity to moisture: Carpet can easily get damaged when soaked. Carpets are also prone to mildew when used in a moist environment.
WHERE IS CARPET FLOORING BEST SUITED?
Carpet has lot of advantages as it is soft, warm and comfortable to walk on. Therefore it is suited in homes with young kids and elderly people. However, it is not suited for people who suffer from allergies, as dust accumulates easily on carpets. A more hygienic and cheaper option is Vinyl flooring.
For information on other flooring options, go to:
- Flooring | Natural Material Options
- Flooring | Man-made Material Options
- Flooring | Resilient Material Options
In order to get a rough idea of the suitability of a particular flooring for your requirement and to make a fair comparison of the different types of flooring, refer to an Architect’s rating of the various kinds of flooring on my blog: House construction in India
If you found this post useful, all it takes is a simple click on the “pin it” “like,” “share,” “tweet,” or Google+ buttons below the post.