WHAT IS THE BIGGEST MISTAKE MOST PEOPLE MAKE WHEN CONSTRUCTING A HOUSE?
- He collects a lot of information on buildings from the net and from the frequent exhibitions on Building products and Materials, Interiors, etc
- He consults people and relatives who have already constructed houses on their experience,
- He seeks advice from them on the best type of building Contract
- He asks them for referrals of Contractors
- and most surely, he wants to know where he can get a plan without having to shell out too much money.
Though he has a clear idea of what he wants, he is not (in most cases) very sure regarding the feasibility of his ideas. So, he thinks the best person to approach is the Building Contractor (who has been referred to him) since after all, it is the Contractor who will actually give shape to his ‘dream’ house and obviously has a lot of practical knowledge and experience in building matters. He also wrongly believes that, with all the information he has gathered, there is no way he can be fooled and that he will be able to complete the construction well within his budget and on time.
But the truth unfortunately, is that, most people unwittingly make a mistake by giving the job to just the Contractor, as there is no expert to cross-check on the quality and cost of the Building Construction. Also very often, though the Contractor helps the person in getting a plan of his ‘dream house’, the source is not very clear – it may not even be designed by a qualified Architect.
HOW IS AN ARCHITECT DIFFERENT FROM A DRAUGHTSMAN?
The design of the house does not have to do only with the aesthetics and physical proportions of the building, but also and perhaps even more so on how it flows or functions. Your home must work visually and physically. It is imperative to consider aspects that cannot be seen on the plan, such as:
- the various uses for the different living spaces,
- the movement through the areas without bumping into furniture,
- doors that might open into unsightly areas of the home,
- the provision of light and ventilation for the various rooms and
- the security of the building.
An Architect is qualified and skilled in the art of designing well proportioned stylish buildings. The Architect is accomplished in the dimensions and arrangement of rooms to create a building that is in harmony with its surroundings and within itself. The extensive training and experience allows the Architect to design buildings that flow effortlessly and to maximize the use of interior spaces. Only an Architect can ensure good proportions, features which will compliment your taste and style and finishes which will compliment each other. This is where an Architect can make a lot of difference.
WHY SHOULD YOU INVEST IN THE SERVICES OF AN ARCHITECT?
Whether you are looking to build your dream home, adding to your existing home or renovating your house, no matter what your building project is, never underestimate the value of the services of an Architect. The expertise of a good and skilled Architect will:
- free you from concern;
- provide you with value for money
- give a creative vision towards the project,
- save you a lot in construction cost and
- definitely increase the value of the proposed property, when it comes to the resale of it.
When attempting any building project the appointment of an Architect, will without doubt be the best investment you will make. At the very outset, an Architect can assess and help formulate your needs, evaluate possible sites, suggest a range of design options to be explored, and provide an opinion on costs. The same qualities of vision and professional expertise, which the Architect exercises in the pre-design phase, continue throughout the execution and completion of the project.
As a Client, the result may be something you never thought possible, but which you realise you wanted and needed all along. Not only have you achieved value for money: you also have good Architecture. This is precisely what Architects, with their combination of technical expertise, design flair and management competence, are uniquely placed to deliver.
If you found this post useful, I would really love it if you pin it or share it. I have not blocked the site just because your ad blocker is switched on because I hope my content will be useful to you. But I am able to run this site only because of the ads. So I will be obliged if you turn off your ad blocker. Thank you!